Sunday, June 20, 2010

Advice for the New Kids

So, in few weeks, a new training class will arrive in Niger and begin their training. I remember it was this time last year I was back in America, preparing to come. And, I started madly searching the Internet to read other volunteers' blogs, trying to learn everything I could. With that in mind, I've decided to post a few words of wisdom for those of you who might be preparing to come (the rest of you can just ignore this):

1. Don't worry about language. You will have plenty of time to learn what you need to know during training. I came in not knowing a word of Zarma/having never studied French and I did fine.

2. If your looking to get more specific advice about packing, etc. check out the facebook group (Peace Corps Niger July 2010) your peers have started. My fellow PCVs and I posted a list of things you may want or not want to bring. You are also more than welcome to send me a message on facebook. For privacy reasons, I don't want to give out my email here or to tell you my full name, but I am a member of the facebook group. I have my head in a bucket in my profile picture.

3. Seriously feel free to send me or any of the other volunteers questions you have. We are all super excited for you to come and really enjoy helping you make the transition into your new life.

4. Don't bring a lot of clothes. You can buy used clothes and Nigerien clothes here. Bring snacks instead. SERIOUSLY BRING SNACKS. Pre-service training is hard because you are living with a homestay family and don't cook for yourself. It is during this period I experienced my most intense food cravings.

5. Enjoy your time in the States before you leave. Don't bother trying to do a bunch of research before you get here. It's better to come in without a ton of expectations. They will teach you everything you need to know during training.

6. Bring one or two outfits that will make you feel really American. Trust me, after months of being hot and sweaty all the time, you will relish the chance to get cleaned up.

7. Remember that training is nothing like your actual service. Some people really hate training and love being in their village. I loved both. So just remember to have patience and if you are having a hard time, really try to stick it out until you've been in your village for a few months to be sure you are getting a real taste of what the Peace Corps is.

8. Remember to be very polite, patient, and kind with yourself when learning new things.

9. Have your parents/your friends send you a package two weeks before you leave. It will get there during the first two weeks of your training, when you most need a pick-me-up.

10. Keep in mind that the first two weeks of training were the longest two in my entire Peace Corps Service. Once you get going, time really flies!

That's the basics... again, check out the facebook group and feel free to contact any of us for advice! Enjoy your time with your family and have a safe trip over!

Be well,

Katie

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to neighboring Mali, but the advice is still completely applicable. Thanks for posting this, definitely a helpful post!

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete