Sunday, September 13, 2009

Zarma Speech

Here is a copy of the speech I made for swear in. There are a few phrases that didn’t translate into English well, so parts may seem a bit awkward. Also, Zarma doesn’t have complicated sentence structure, as a result the translation isn’t 100% faithful…because I love clause-heavy writing.




Zarma Version

Peace Corps ma ga, ay go ga aran kulu. Fonda kayan. Ay go ga saabu aran se nda suro kan aran go ga dan ga iri hangan.

Ay hamburu kayna kan Peace Corps ne ay se kan ay go ga ka Niger ga te jiri hinka, zama ay si Niger bey gumo gumo. Cimi-cimi ay si bey nankan hare Niger go Africa ra kala kan ay na ndyunya karto gune. Amma, ba kan ay na karto gune ay man ma kaani. Ay di kan Niger ga moru Amerik gumo-gumo. Woodin banda mo, Niger ga fayanka nda Amerik gumo-gumo. Kan ay go ga sola ga ka, ay sobay ga foongu sandey kan go ga ay batu Niger ra jiri hinka wo kan ay ga ba ga te.

Amma za kan iri ka Niger, iri di kan sandey din manti sandeyan no koyne. Kayna-kanya Niger nwarey sintin ga kanu iri se. Iri ga hin ga dan Niger bankarey. Iri stagere jerey sintin ga waani Niger nwarey hinayan. Yadinga stagairey kan si waani Niger nwarey hineyan hima ga mey haw.

Habu yegga wo kan iri te Niger ra, boorey kulu na iri kubayni gumo-gumo. Iri coro taagey Bartcawal nda Hamdalley ra na iri ga gumo-gumo ga iri sandey bonza. i ga ba iri ma zada. Woodin se iri go ga Niger boorey kulu saabu gumo-gumo. Ay go ga ay Bartcawal almeyalo saabu gumo gumo kan i n’ay gaayi nda bine fo, i n’ay sambu sanda ingey ize. Bine kaani bambata no iri se hunkuna kan iri go ga sintin ga goy aran Niger laabo ra. Iri Niger laabu ra, zama hunkuna iri kulu wone ne.

Hunkuna iri na cere margu neyo ga iri stajo banyanno buco te, nda iri jiri hinka kan iri ga te Niger ra koyne. Ay go ga ci ay caley se i ma fongu kan handey kan go ga ka ga taabandi gumo-gumo, zama i ra no iri ga sintin ga te goyteri cim-cimyan. Si ka Kulsi. Yardin no ndunya.

Amerik ra iri ga ne nda boro man taabi a si du. No pain, no gain. Amma, nda boro ga ba cabeyan hanno ni ma du ga goro Niger ra boro ma koy Niger booreydo. Wa foongu kan nda boro si ga ma kaani, Niger boorey caabeyan hinza go no kan iri si dirgan a bada, kala suru, kala suuru, kala suuru.

English Version

I am here today, speaking on behalf of Peace Corps, blessings on your arrival. Thank you all for your patience during our ceremony.

When Peace Corps first told me that I was to serve two years in Niger, in truth, I was a little scared. I didn’t know very much about Niger. To be completely honest, I wasn’t exactly sure where Niger was in Africa. But after I looked at a map, I was still uneasy. I saw that Niger was very far from America, isolated, and difficult to travel to. What’s more, I knew that Niger would be very different from my home. As I prepared to come, the thought most prominent in my mind was that the next two years would be hard for me—it would be a challenge.

But, upon our arrival we discovered that many of the challenges we feared were not so large. We have learned to love the food, and how to wear Nigerien clothing. Some of us have even learned how to prepare Nigerien food. Those of us who don’t learn how to cook will have to learn how to fast.

The nine weeks we have spent in Niger, everyone has shown us an incredible amount of hospitality. Our new friends in Bartcawal and Hamdallaye have helped us overcome many of the challenges we faced. They wanted us to succeed, and for that we are deeply thankful. I want to add that I am especially grateful to my family in Bartcawal for loving me with one heart, and taking me in as their own daughter. Today, we our hearts feel huge as we begin our work in your country—our country—because today we are also Nigerien.

We have come here today to celebrate the end of our training, and the beginning of our two years of service. I want to warn my colleagues that in the months that come, we will all suffer a great deal as we begin to build a life for ourselves in Niger. There is no doubt. This is how the world is.

In America we say that if a person doesn’t suffer, he or she doesn’t get it. No pain, no gain. But, as one might expect, the best advice for living in Niger comes from the Nigeriens. Therefore, if you are struggling, remember the Nigerien's three favorite pieces of advice: Have patience, have patience, and have patience.

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful pictures and descriptions. I can't imagine your making that speech. How far you (all) have come in these three months. Kudos, and thank you for enriching us back home who are following you, as you are enriching the lives of so many on the other side of the world.

    ReplyDelete